homepage graphic go to homepage contact us search the site

Forms & Publications
Online Services
Income Taxes
Business Taxes
Motor Vehicle
Gross Production
Ad Valorem
Payment Options
Rules & Decisions
How do i...
Frequently Asked Questions
General Agency Information

My mother passed away and left me her car.
How do I change the title over to me?

If the vehicle (identified by V.I.N.) was left to you in the deceased’s will, the will must first be probated (unless the value of the estate was under $20,000.00. In that event, contact a tag agent or the Motor Vehicle Division for assistance) before any action will be allowed. Once probated, you may present the letters testamentary issued by the court and awarding you the vehicle, along with a copy of the deceased’s death certificate, to any tag agency to transfer ownership of the vehicle into your name.

If the deceased left no will and you are entitled to the vehicle (no other party has a superior claim), you may obtain and complete appropriate title transfer documentation at any tag agency. In addition to these documents, you will be required to provide a copy of the deceased’s death certificate.

If your question has not been answered, please visit the Contact Us site and email us your question. Great questions from taxpayers is how this section of the website is created.


Copyright © 2007, Oklahoma Tax Commission
Security Statement | Privacy Statement | Feedback | OK.gov
Last Modified 12/12/2007

forms and publications online services Oklahoma income taxes Oklahoma business taxes motor vehicle information payment options OTC reports OTC rules and commission decisions Steps to take for common tax needs meetings schedule Oklahoma tax due dates calendar frequently asked questions Oklahoma ad valorem information general information