Disabled Veteran Information: Motor Vehicle
- The exemption may be claimed on only one (1) vehicle in a consecutive three (3) year period by any single qualifying veteran.
- The exemption applies to motor vehicles only. It does not apply to boats or motors.
- The exemption does not apply to surviving spouses of qualified veterans.
Qualifying Criteria and Documentation..
- The qualifying veteran must be listed on the title as an owner of the vehicle. Additional owners may also be present.
- The vehicle must have been purchased on or after 7/1/05.
- A letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs must be presented certifying that the veteran is receiving disability compensation at the 100% rate or the exemption card issued to document the sales tax exemption must be presented.
A veteran with at least a 50% service connected disability is entitled to a reduced rate on annual registration and/or a special DAV license plate. For further information, please visit your local tag agent office.
If your question has not been answered, please visit the Contact Us site and email us your question. Great questions from taxpayers are how this section of the website is created.