Home Contact Us Search
Forms & Publications

Up to the Minute..

Press Release
February 6, 2012

Free Income Tax Assistance Available Across Oklahoma

Qualifying Oklahoma taxpayers who would like assistance preparing and filing their taxes have free help available to them in several locations across Oklahoma.

The VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) programs have sites open providing income tax assistance to taxpayers who qualify. VITA sites offer free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally $50,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. TCE sites help low- and middle- income taxpayers and give special attention to senior citizens (60 years of age and older).

Specially trained community volunteers help taxpayers with their Federal and Oklahoma returns at locations across the state. These volunteers may help with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. Most of the locations also offer free electronic filing of the taxpayer’s returns. Individuals taking advantage of e-file will receive their refunds in half the time compared with those who file by paper- and even faster if they use direct deposit for their refund.
Taxpayers will need to bring the following items to a VITA or TCE site:

  • A photo id
  • Valid social security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
  • Birth dates for everyone who will be listed on the return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) including forms W2, W2G, 1099R from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (form 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers (if they want direct deposit)
  • Other relevant information about income and expenses
  • Total paid for daycare and daycare provider’s identifying number and address
  • If the taxpayer is filing a joint return, both taxpayers must be present to sign the return prior to filing

For more information about the VITA or TCE programs or to view a list of site locations around Oklahoma, please visit the Free Income Tax Assistance Page on the Tax Commission website at www.tax.ok.gov.

Helpful Links:
Free Income Tax Assistance Information

Online Services
Income Taxes
Business Taxes
Motor Vehicle
Gross Production
Ad Valorem
Payment Options
Rules & Decisions
How Do I...
General Agency Information

Copyright © 2012, Oklahoma Tax Commission
Security Statement | Privacy Statement | Feedback | OK.gov
Last Modified 2/7/2012